With a cup of tea?!......
............Don't mind if i do?!
I can do that - show me how!
Perfect for birthday cakes - You will need:
2 standard size chocolate sponge cakes
400ML Double Cream
400g Dark Chocolate
Firstly chocolate ganache is an icing made from cream and chocolate, you'll probably be familiar with it on cakes like chocolate fudge cakes as it's richer than your regular chocolate buttercream.
- Pour double cream into small saucepan and place on medium heat. Make sure pan is completely dry and don't cover it as moisture droplets will ruin the ganache.
- Break the chocolate into small chunks and add to the warm cream.
- Keep stirring until chocolate has almost completely melted but don't let it boil.
- Take the pan off the heat and whisk gently until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Put the ganache into a bowl and allow to cool at room temp for a couple of hours so it firms to a thick spreading consistency and voila!
Time to cover your cake!
I would use chocolate buttercream for the layer of the two sponges and then ganache to cover the cake.
- If your ganache hardens in the fridge you can soften on a low heat in the microwave for 10 - 30 seconds and stir well.
- To cover your cake scoop generous amount onto palette knife and smooth over top of cake using wide sweeping movements. At this stage you are consentrating on covering the cake not getting the perfect finish!
- Do the same with sides and spread with long sweeps of the palette knife.
- When cake is covered you can make the ganache smooth by smoothing over it again with a warmed palette knife (dipped in hot water and dried off) and your done! Feel free to decorate it however you choose, you can even buy chocolate writing tubes to write happy birthday messages etc :)